Saturday 8 December 2012

Assignment Two - composition

This assignment piece brought together a few favoured items - the clam shell, the teasels and pinc cone - as well as some bright pink cyclamens and nice small vase.

I placed them on a check cloth, which as well as being quite decorative, proved to be a useful means of getting all the pieces in the right position on the page, using the check as a grid.

As the previous post relates, I experimented with some other media (ink and patel pencils) before settlmg here on watercolour pencil (without water). Although the colours are much fainter, I guess I still feel "safer" working in this medium as it's easier to repair mistakes.

I must have spent several days deciding on the composition, and then the actuall drawing has taken me three days. I'm not sure the final piece reflects the concentration and anguish that's gone into it!

What have I learned?

I think I've learned quite a lot during these first two parts of the course. But I've also forgotten a lot of it too. I have to keep reminding myself of all the other media I've used over the course, and the kinds of techniques (hatching, stippling) that I've worked through. I will need to bring some of these back into use as I get on to the next stage, as they obviously can all be part of the artist's toolkit. The temptation at the moment is just to focus on one thing and discard the rest.

Anyway, here's the assignment piece....


No comments:

Post a Comment