Wednesday 9 July 2014

Four self-portraits

In this first pencil drawing, I've tried to convey what I think are my most distinctive features - a slightly bent nose and two very different eye shapes. Looking at it now, I needed to work more on the subtleties of shading, on the mouth, and also on the hair.


This second charcoal sketch was done much more quickly, and I like it a lot more. And when I showed it to my 9-year-old grand-daughter, she recognised it as being me, which was gratifying.
This 3rd pencil sketch, I think, works slightly better than the first, especially around the mouth.
However, my attempt to depict my own rather scrawny 'turkey' neck has not worked at all.

In this final sketch, I decided to switch to oil pastels and have some fun with colour. Not sure about the results, but I'd like to explore this medium a bit more.


No comments:

Post a Comment