Thursday 28 February 2013

Four views of a tree

This chestnut tree in my nextdoor neighbour's back garden was trimmed quite heavily last year, and has just started sprouting new shoots from its truncated branches. As it's still winter, there is no foliage, so that whole plant looks like a spiky stunted edifice at the moment. In the next few weeks it will be transformed and ragin some of its shape, and I'll probably return to it to caputre the transformation.
In this exercise, I did four preparatory drawings taking different views of the tree at different times of the day.

This is the overall result:
The top left was the first attempt, done fairly quickly on a fairly sunny afternoon, and I focused mainly on capturing the overall shape of the branches. Here it is in more detail:
The following morning, the weather was dull, and the tree made quite a dark silhouette with litle detail showing:
I then chose to do an outline of the tree's shape, this time working from the top to the bottom. I started by mapping out where the main bracnhes ended, and the relative positions, and then worked down to the trunk:

Finally, I focused on a section of the trunk, and really looked at the shape of the grain of the bark, and the imperfections and scars on the surface of the trunk:


No comments:

Post a Comment