Monday 4 March 2013

The Albert pub, Deal, Kent

For this exercise on drawing a townscape, I took as my subject the Albert pub in Deal, which sits at the corner of a square and some narrow old streets full of period houses dating from the 17th and 18th century.

Since the weather was extremely cold, I decided to take a series of photographs from different angles, and have done the drawings from them. Not ideal, but better than freezing.

Also worth mentuioning that the weather was overcast, and so no strong shadows to add extra interest.

I began with the small section of the pub above the corner doorway, then did a quick sketch of the whole pub to show the overall structure. The larger part of the picture is from a different angle, with the pub seend from a narrow road that leads down from the seafront. The perspective is quite strong, but the lines were a little deceptive because the road sloped down to the pub, and so I think I've not quite got some of the positions correctly...


No comments:

Post a Comment