Thursday 16 May 2013

Life drawing 2: Female form in various poses

My second life drawing session featured a young black woman who adopted a series of poses for the group, starting with very quick sketches and working up to a pose of around 40 minutes.

This first one was done in about 4 minutes, in charcoal on plain blue paper.

The second, also in charcoal, took 6 minutes (not much time to ge the feet right)

The next pose allowed around 20 minutes, with the model lying back on a large cushion with her leg up on a stool. I found it hard to get the legs right as they went off into the distance from me. I used pencil for this sketch on watercolour paper which has a stiff and rough surface.
For the final long pose of 40 minutes, I reverted to paper on blue paper and tried experimenting a little with Conte crayons just to highlight certain parts of the body. Clearly some more work to be done on this technique....

Unhappy with the general look of the drawing, I decided to start again, going back to watercolour paper and pencil (4B). This was the result, which I was slightly happier with...although I've not quite conveyed the position of her left shoulder, which she held slightly in front of her as she supported herself on the edge of the stool.


No comments:

Post a Comment