Monday 30 July 2012

Compositions of natural objects

I found this the most demanding exercise so far.

Getting the various natural objects (apple, vine tomatoes, banana, lemon, a sprig of ivy, a pine cone) to come to life was really hard for me.

I tried using just pencil and some graphite pencil to produce shadows and shading, but I found it very hard to differentiate between the various types of surface using just pencil. For instance, the tomatoes were very shiny and therefore had lots of highlights. I tried shading them in and then rubbing out little spots to make the reflections, but it's not really successful.

Euqally, the lumpy texture of the lemon was hard to portray. The smooth matt textures of the banana and apple were a little easier.

In one picture I tried using water colour pencils to differentiate the fruits, but not to any great effect.

I can see already I need to work much hard on reproducing natural shapes. By their very "nature" they are irregular, in contrast to made objects which tend to be more regular and have clear curves and straight lines.




No comments:

Post a Comment