Monday 9 July 2012

First exercises

It's taken me a while to get started on the art course after the OCA sent me the course documents. I've enjoyed going out to buy materials(I love art shops), but I think I'm nervous about actually getting started on some real work.

Today I tried one of the early exercises which involved doodling using a variety of different pencils, crayons and pens.

This was surprisingly interesting.

As I expected, using softer graphite pencils (4B to 6B) provides the ability to do more atmospheric shading, but cross-hatching seemed fairly pointless.

Using softer carbon pencils also helped to create a 'rounded' effect, especially when holding the pencil flat rather than point down.

With a sharp pen, you get a clean effect, and cross-hatching can achieve a pleasant shading effect.

Charcoal is also great to use, and by using your fingers to smear it, you can get some lovely subtle shading effects.

With watercolour pencils, the effects were interesting, if a little unpredictable.

And with pastel crayons, I could get a similar range of effects as with a 6B pencil.

No comments:

Post a Comment