Wednesday 7 November 2012

Research - detail v rough sketching

In this little piece of research, I looked at studies by Edward Burne-Jones, the Victorian pre-Raphaelite artist, and by Henri Matisse, who did most of his work in the first half of the 20th century.

In this study of two pillows by Burne Jones..

.. the artist captures the reality of the pillows with subtle shading using just pencil to achieve a fabulous and convincing effect. It is really indicative of the very accomplished craftsmanship of all the artists of the time, such as Millais.

By contrast, this still life study by Henri Matisse achieves its impression with a just a few pencil lines. It is by no means accurate - for example the vase merely suggests what the actual object might look like. But the sheer strength of line, and the flow of the lines (which I guess were done quite quickly) manage to convey the shape, position and substance of the individual objects, and show the confidence wih which the artist works.



Which do I prefer? I have to say I admire the technical mastery of the pre-Raphaelites, and I would love to be able to draw like Burne Jones or Millais. However, I would also like to achieve the self-confidence and sureness of line that Matisse displays here.




No comments:

Post a Comment